ADOdb is a database abstraction library for PHP. Many popular web applications such as ACID, PostNuke, Xaraya, phpWiki, Mambo, PHP GACL, TikiWiki, eGroupWare and phpLens App Server are using ADOdb as their database abstraction layer. Some reasons why ADOdb is popular include:
- Designed for speed. It is probably the fastest open source database abstraction library available for PHP.
- Provides extensive portability support such as date and type-handling and portable schema creation.
- Support many enterprise features such as database backed sessions (with session expiry notification), SQL code generation, pivot tables, SELECT LIMIT emulation for all databases, performance monitoring.
- Easy to learn, especially if you have Window’s programming experience, as it uses many ADO conventions.
- Extensive QA, every release is unit-tested on Access, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL, Oracle 9.
- Mature, developed since August 2000. Has a large community of users.
- Very reasonable licensing terms (BSD). This means that you can incorporate (and even compile) it into your software applications royalty-free without asking the author’s permission, provided you include license.txt in your release. Also dual-licensed (Lesser GPL).